FIRST UNITARIAN IN PORTLAND INVITES YOU TO JOIN:
First U in Portland is organizing and eager to include participation from UUs everywhere. You are invited to join for Anti-Racism Learning Circles, which begin in early to mid-October. Since it’s on Zoom, you can join from anywhere!
For more information, click on this link
LEARNING CIRCLES are small discussion cohorts based on a book or podcast that provide:
- Important learning about white supremacy, racism, and our national history
- The opportunity to build trust and go deep in small group discussions over time
- A safe place to have difficult discussions and deal wih discomfort
- Creating and strengthening relationships with other UUs
- Connection, focus and purpose in a virtual setting
How Do LEARNING CIRCLES Work?
- Each cohort (typically 4-12) gathers for a series (from 4-10 sessions) of facilitated Zoom discussions.
- Register to for a particular Learning Circle HERE. Meeting dates & times vary.
- Each individual is given the opportunity to share reactions, then discuss as a group
- We ask that you attend all sessions so we can build bonds of trust and insight
For descriptions, schedules & to register go to: LEARNING CIRCLE REGISTRATION
- Seeing White: Season 2 of Scene on Radio
- The Land That Has Never Been Yet: Season 4 of Scene on Radio
- Caste: The Origin of our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson
- The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How we Can Propser Together by Heather McGhee
- Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right’s Stealth Plan for America by Nancy MacLean
- My Grandmother’s Hands: Racialized Trauma and the Pathway to Mending our Hearts and Bodies by Resmaa Menakem
- See No Stranger: A Memoir and Manifesto of Revolutionary Love by Valerie Kaur
- We Do This ’Til We Free Us: Abolitionist Organizing and Transforming Justice by Mariame Kaba
Jody Feldman & Ethel Gullette
First Unitarian Church of Portland
Racial Justice Action Group
Jody: 703-334-1638, email@example.com
Ethel: 310-702-1053, firstname.lastname@example.org